Are You A Fantasy Football Junkie?
I could sit here and tell you about how excited I am about the Redskins win over the Giants last week. But I'm not going to lie - that's not really what made me happy in week #1 of the NFL season.
Both of my fantasy football teams had a really good week. And what I'm about to tell you might make you mad or might make you realize you're just like me.
My fantasy football team means more to me than my actual NFL team.
Yeah - I'm a Redskins fan but first and foremost, I'm a "Zach Attack" fan. "Zach Attack" is the name of my fantasy football team.
When the Redskins lose, my day isn’t ruined whatsoever. However, when my fantasy football team loses, I spent the rest of the day depressed, the following day trying to figure out what went wrong and then the rest of the week trying to fix it.
During the games, I’m texting friends telling them, “My team is struggling.” They’re saying, “What are you talking about? The Skins are winning.” Then I respond with, “No---not the Skins, my fantasy team.”
Perhaps it has something to do with the fact the Redskins have been irrelevant for 15 years. Their games just don't mean as much. I’m just not as into the Redskins as much like I was when I was 13.
To see if you're like me, ask yourself these questions:
- When you’re out on a Sunday, are you checking your cell phone for your NFL teams’ score updates or your fantasy teams’ score updates?
- Are you more concerned with your teams’ running back or the running back you just picked up on waivers that might or might not start this week?
- What makes you more mad: when the QB for your team throws a pick or the QB on your fantasy team throws a pick?
- If you have Tom Brady as your fantasy QB and you’re a Jets fan, are you more upset when Tom Brady passes for 300 yards and 3 TD’s against the Jets or are you more upset when the Jets hold him to 150 yards, 1 TD and 2 INTs? Your NFL team might have won but your fantasy team sure didn’t.
- Are you researching to see how your team is going to do on Sunday or are you researching the hot free agent pick-ups for your fantasy team for Sunday?
- Which would you rather give up? A season of watching your NFL team or a season of playing fantasy football?
If you answered "yes" to these questions, you care more about your fantasy team than your NFL team.
Let's face it, I've got real issues.
I’m pacing back and forth during Titans/Jaguars game because I have Kenny Britt starting at WR. I’m cussing at the screen because a WR downfield doesn’t block for my RB en route to a Touchdown run. I'm hoping a guy gets tackled at the 1-yard line so my running back can come into the game and score an easy TD.
It might sound crazy but you know you're right there with me.