Giants Training Camp Notes 7/28
Rainy conditions forced the Giants to practice on the UAlbany turf lacrosse field today, which limited the teams space, but provided an upgraded viewing experience for the fans. After practice Coughlin wasn’t too upset about the predicament, saying, “we did the best we could with one field.” I was roaming the sidelines throughout the entire session; here is a summary of my notes.
– No pads.
– David Wilson is dynamic. Quick and shifty, but doesn’t fall into the trap of running side to side. Great hands; corralled multiple errant throws by Perrilloux/Carr.
– Just after 2:00pm, Victor Cruz made a spectacular turn-around catch, receiving the loudest ovation that the crowd gave all day. I think it is safe to say that, besides Eli, Victor may be the most endeared Giants player. The “Cruuuuz” chants were reminiscent of Daryl “Moose” Johnston’s days as a Cowboy.
– 4th round pick Adrien Robinson made the play of the day, stretching himself for a one handed snag on the right sideline. For a TE who only caught 12 passes last season, he certainly showed remarkable hands and body control on this play.
– Hakeem Nicks was on the field, no boot or crutches, jogging around without concern. Good sign.
– Keep and eye on #15 Dan DePalma. The short and shifty WR caught my eye twice, making an impressive grab during deep toss drills and sticking a stellar block during offense v. defense.
– A lot of defensive rotations during drills but it seemed like Terrell Thomas and Corey Webster were the starting cornerbacks with 2011 first round pick Prince Amukamara behind them. Thomas seemed to run at 100% following his season ending injury.
– New LB Keith Rivers was used frequently in blitz packages, packages often dedicated to Mathias Kiwanuka in the past.
– At 2:53, during light play scrimmaging, Jason Pierre Paul went down, grabbing at his ankle. Paul was helped to his feet, and was taken to the sidelines. Paul did return to action minutes later.
– DE Justin Trattou went down with an injury, was carted off. According to Coughlin post practice “he got an ankle, he was hobbling pretty good though. They have to send him for x-rays.”