Pizza Wars Winners
It seemed that the “thing to do” was be at Pizza Wars last night. Your votes have been counted and we have the winners!
As chosen by all those who attended:
BEST PEPPERONI PIZZA: 3 BROTHERS
BEST CHEESE PIZZA: PIZZA MARE & DECLICATESSEN
BEST SPECIALTY: PIZZA MARE & DELICATESSEN
Plus the winner of the superbowl party/tv/recliner is: Jonah Beer from Saratoga Springs
Congrats to the winners! We had so many great pizza vendors participate – a big thank you to all of them and also to you for spending the night with us.
Here are some pizza facts you may have otherwise not known:
- The people of America eat around 350 slices of pizza each second, or 100 acres per day.
- Each year, pizza is a $30 billion industry.
- In the U.S., there are about 61,269 pizza parlors.
- Everyone in the United States eats about 23 lbs., or 46 slices, every year.
- Each year in the United States, 3 billion pizzas are sold.
- In America, the most popular ethnic food is Italian.
- Children ages 3-11 prefer pizza over all other foods for lunch and dinner, according to a recent Gallup Poll.
- 36 percent of all pizza orders want their pizza topping pepperoni.
- We consume around 251,770,000 pounds of pepperonis every year.
- A few popular pizzas toppings are: Mushrooms, Extra cheese, Sausage, Green Pepper, and Onion.
- In the list of most popular pizza toppings in America, the last one is anchovies.
- New gourmet pizza toppings have rapidly became popular. Some of those toppings include: Chicken, Oysters, Crayfish, Dandelions, Sprouts, Eggplant, Cajun Shrimp, Artichoke Hearts, Venison, Duck, Canadian-Style Bacon and Tuna.
- Practically every kind of pizza topping has been tried by pizza chefs, some of those toppings being peanut butter and jelly, bacon and eggs, and mashed potatoes.
- Americans prefer meat toppings to veggie toppings by a ratio of 62 to 100. Women order twice as much vegetable toppings than men.
- Some popular pizza toppings in Japan are squid and Mayo Jaga (mayonaise, potato and bacon).
- In India they like pickled ginger, minced mutton and tofu. The people of Brazil prefer green peas for their topping. Russians serve pizza covered in mockba (a mix of sardines, tuna, mackeral, salmon and onions.)