Which New York Football Team Has the Hardest ’22 Schedule?
It's the middle of May. Major League Baseball is in full-swing (pun intended), and the NBA and Stanley Cup Playoffs have both made for incredible theater in recent weeks.
That being said, an NFL event happened late last week, so naturally, the sports world ceases to spin until the league has finished their festivities.
This time around it was the NFL's annual schedule release, in which fans slowly-but-steadily discover the 17 teams and games that will make up their team's regular season schedule when the following season kicks off in the fall.
Once the schedules are released, the analysis is able to begin, and that's where we come in. Here is every game on the New York Giants, Jets and Buffalo Bills' regular season schedules for 2022, and the strength of their schedule compared to the rest of the NFL, according to CBS Sports.
New York Giants' 2022 Regular Season Schedule
The Giants' schedule in 2022 reads as follows:
- Week 1: Sunday, September 11 at Titans
- Week 2: Sunday, September 18 vs. Panthers
- Week 3: Monday, September 26 vs. Cowboys
- Week 4: Sunday, October 2 vs. Bears
- Week 5: Sunday, October 9 at Packers (in London)
- Week 6: Sunday, October 16 vs. Ravens
- Week 7: Sunday, October 23 at Jaguars
- Week 8: Sunday, October 30 at Seahawks
- Week 9: BYE
- Week 10: Sunday, November 13 vs. Texans
- Week 11: Sunday, November 20 vs. Lions
- Week 12: Thursday, November 24 at Cowboys
- Week 13: Sunday, December 4 vs. Commanders
- Week 14: Sunday, Dec. 11 vs. Eagles
- Week 15: Pool Date TBD at Commanders
- Week 16: Saturday, December 24 at Vikings
- Week 17: Sunday, January 1 vs. Colts
- Week 18: Pool Date TBD at Eagles
Based on the combined winning percentages of all opponents from last season, the 29th-hardest strength of schedule in the NFL in 2022. Another way of reading that, is that the Giants have the 4th-easiest schedule next season. Their opponents had a combined winning percentage of .465.
Outside of the division, there are some series opportunities for the Giants to win football games this season. Games against the Panthers, Jaguars, Seahawks, Texans and Lions will allow the team to prove that, while they may not be a playoff team yet, they're no longer a cellar-dweller.
Can they do it, though? That remains to be seen.
New York Jets' 2022 Regular Season Schedule
The Jets' schedule for next season looks something like this:
- Week 1: September 11 vs. Baltimore 1:00 CBS
- Week 2: September 18 @Cleveland 1:00 CBS
- Week 3: September 25 vs. Cincinnati 1:00 CBS
- Week 4: October 2 @Pittsburgh 1:00 CBS
- Week 5: October 9 vs. Miami 1:00 CBS
- Week 6: October 16 @Green Bay 1:00 FOX
- Week 7: October 23 @Denver 4:05 CBS
- Week 8: October 30 vs. New England 1:00 CBS
- Week 9: November 6 vs. Buffalo 1:00 CBS
- Week 10: Bye
- Week 11: November 20 @New England 1:00 CBS
- Week 12: November 27 vs. Chicago 1:00 FOX
- Week 13: December 4 @Minnesota 1:00 CBS
- Week 14: December 11 @Buffalo 1:00 CBS
- Week 15: December 17 vs. Detroit 1:00 FOX
- Week 16: December 22 vs. Jacksonville 8:15 Amazon Prime
- Week 17: January 1 @Seattle 4:05 FOX
- Week 18: January 7 or 8 @Miami TBD
Based on that same metric put together by CBS Sports, the Jets have the 17th-hardest schedule in 2022, tied with the Cleveland Browns in that department. The team is already playing at a deficit, as between the Buffalo Bills (a Super Bowl contender), the New England Patriots (made the playoffs last year and were ahead of the developmental curve in general), and the Miami Dolphins (spent all of the money this offseason), the AFC East is stacked against the Jets.
Not only that, but their non-division schedule is a gauntlet at the beginning of their season. New York plays Baltimore, Cincinnati, Green Bay and Denver before their bye week in Week No. 10.
The Jets are expected to take another step forward in 2022, but that step won't come easy.
Buffalo Bills' 2022 Regular Season Schedule
Last, but not least, comes the team with the highest expectations by far in the state of New York, the Buffalo Bills. Here is who they'll be battling in 2022:
- Week 1: Thursday Sept. 8, at Los Angeles Rams, 8:20 p.m.
- Week 2: Monday, Sept. 19, vs. Tennessee Titans, 7:15 p.m.
- Week 3: Sunday, Sept. 25, at Miami Dolphins, 1 p.m.
- Week 4: Sunday, Oct. 2, at Baltimore Ravens, 1 p.m.
- Week 5: Sunday, Oct. 9, vs Pittsburgh Steelers, 1 p.m.
- Week 6: Sunday, Oct. 16, at Kansas City Chiefs, 4:25 p.m.
- Week 7: BYE
- Week 8: Sunday, Oct. 30, vs Green Bay, 8:20 p.m.
- Week 9: Sunday, Nov. 6, at New York Jets, 1 p.m.
- Week 10: Sunday, Nov. 13, vs. Minnesota Vikings, 1 p.m.
- Week 11: Sunday, Nov. 20, vs Cleveland Browns, 1 p.m.
- Week 12: Thursday, Nov. 24, at Detroit Lions, 12:30 p.m.
- Week 13: Thursday, Dec. 1, at New England Patriots, 8:15 p.m.
- Week 14: Sunday, Dec. 11, vs New York Jets, 1 p.m.
- Week 15: Dec. 17-18, vs. Miami Dolphins, TBD
- Week 16: Saturday, Dec. 24, at Chicago Bears, 1 p.m.
- Week 17: Monday, Jan. 2, at Cincinnati Bengals, 8:30 p.m.
- Week 18: Jan. 7-8, vs. New England Patriots, TBD
Based on their opponents' average winning percentage from last season, the Bills have the 12th-hardest schedule in the NFL in 2022, tied with Carolina and Pittsburgh for that spot. Buffalo faces the same divisional challenges as the Jets, however they have one advantage: they get to play the Jets twice.
We'll know a lot about the Bills before their bye week in Week No. 7. Their schedule to start the year goes: Rams, Titans, Dolphins, Ravens, Steelers, Chiefs. Those are some of the best teams in the NFL, against one of the best teams in the NFL.
They'll also have to deal with the Packers and Bengals, but will have a few opportunities later in the season to stockpile wins en-route to a possible trip to the Super Bowl.