Orb’s Triple Crown Chances
Orb won the Kentucky Derby. Right after that, whenever any horse wins, you will hear horse racing fans say, "Well, this horse has a great chance to win the Triple Crown." Well of course it does. You have to win the Derby in order to win The Preakness in order to win the Belmont Stakes. But Orb really does have an awesome chance, and here are the reasons why.
- Shug McGaughey. He is one of the best trainers out there and knows the best way to prepare horses for wins. Shug has 54 major horse racing wins and 11 American Classics/Breeders' Cup wins, including the 2013 Kentucky Derby. He now trains Orb and had the horse more than ready for the stretch run of the Derby.
- Stamina and speed. Orb has both. Some horse racing pundits say it is the closing speed of a horse that wins the big three races. Others say it is the stamina from start to finish. Orb has the best of both worlds.
- It has to happen eventually. 11 horses have won the Triple Crown in 94 years. That is how hard it is. But the Triple Crown in baseball is also difficult, and we had one last year in Detroit's Miguel Cabrera. Things in sports happen again eventually. Why not end 35 years of crown drought since Affirmed won it in 1978?
- Joel Rosario. Rosario is the best jock in the United States right now. The Dominican Republic native is primed for super stardom. Rosario and Orb seem to have excellent chemistry.
- Shorter distance. The Kentucky Derby track is 1 1/4 miles long. The Preakness is shorter. Orb can fly from the start and put other animals away instead of charging at the end.
Horse racing is starving for a Triple Crown winner. So am I. Two words are left. Go Orb!
By: Mike Lindsley, "Mid-Day with Mike," 1-4, Yankees pre/post game host on 104.5 The Team ESPN Radio. Follow him on Twitter @MikeLSports.