Union Men’s Hockey Earns Top Seed In East Regional of NCAA Tournament
On the heels of the program’s first ECAC Hockey Championship, the Union College men’s hockey team (24-7-7, 14-4-4 ECAC Hockey) earned a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament and will take on No. 4 seed Michigan State (19-15-4, 14-11-3 CCHA). Union will travel to the East Regional in Bridgeport, CT for the second straight season and will play on Friday, March 23 at 3:00 p.m.
The Dutchmen earned their first NCAA Tournament berth in 2010-11 as a No. 2 seed in Bridgeport, falling 2-0 to No. 3 seed Minnesota-Duluth. The Bulldogs went on to win the national championship.
Friday’s meeting will mark the first time in Union’s 21-year Division I history that Union and Michigan State will meet.
The Spartans earned an at-large berth after finishing fifth in the CCHA. Michigan State fell in the CCHA Quarterfinals to Miami (OH) 2-0 in a best-of-three series, dropping a 4-1 decision on March 10 in its most recent contest. The Spartans are making their first appearance in the NCAA Tournament since 2007-08, and their 27th all-time NCAA Tournament appearance. Michigan State has won three NCAA titles (1966, 1996, and 2007).
- 2012 will mark the program’s sixth appearance in the NCAA Tournament in school history and second in the Division I era. The Dutchmen earned a bid to the Division III NCAA Tournament four times, the last coming in 1989, when Union fell to Babson in the NCAA Quarterfinals.
- Union is 1-0-2 against CCHA opponents this season, including two ties (2-2, 3-3) against Western Michigan on Oct. 14-15 at Messa Rink, and a 6-3 win at Michigan on Nov. 27.
- Friday March 23 and Saturday March 24, 2012
- Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport, Connecticut (Hosts = Yale University and Fairfield University)
- Game Times: 3:00 & 6:30 p.m. on Friday, 6:30 p.m. on Saturday (all times Eastern)
Hotel Information: Hotels near Webster Bank Arena
- All-session tickets are available for $60 by calling the Union Athletics box office at 518-388-6020. The box office will be open on Monday and Tuesday from 9-5, and on Wednesday from 9-3.
The preceding information was provided by Jeffrey Weinstein, Assistant Sports Information Director for Union College Athletics.