3-Year-Old Upstate New York Girl Rushed to Hospital! She Thought it Was Candy!
On April 9, 2021 cannabis, marijuana, weed, pot, call it what you like, became legal in the State of New York. A certain amount for recreational use and medical use is now allowed but that doesn't mean that you can operate a vehicle under the influence and it certainly doesn't mean your kids should have access to your stash.
So, what happened in one Upstate New York home that lead to a 3-year-old getting high and rushed to the hospital?
According to Syracuse.com, a 3-year-old from Rome, New York allegedly ingested an undetermined amount of candy that she thought were Gummy Bears. The "treats" were actually edible marijuana candy! I have to tell you, I understand that. I am 55 and when I see gummies I can't resist their squishy texture and bright colors. Of course a small child with access is going to eat them!
Rome Police Department indicate that although the child was taken to the hospital she is doing ok. The department have charged the parents with a misdemeanor count of endangering the welfare of a child.
The only thing I can think of that relates to this is when I left a bag of Hershey's Kisses on the nightstand and the dog ate the entire bag while I was away. I completely forgot I left them out and luckily the is alive and well today and has no interest in chocolate any longer.
The Fresh Toast suggests the best way to keep your edibles away from children is to place your stash under lock and key.