NFL Owners Approve New National Anthem Policy
One of the biggest debates on the Levack and Goz has been athletes not standing for the National Anthem. I have long said I prefer that the players stand for the Anthem. It would appear the NFL owners agree as they have passed a new set of rules to get players to stand while on the field for the Anthem.
In a post on NFL.com the NFL listed the new rules:
The membership also strongly believes that:
1. All team and league personnel on the field shall stand and show respect for the flag and the anthem.
2.The Game Operations Manual will be revised to remove the requirement that all players be on the field for the anthem.
3. Personnel who choose not to stand for the anthem may stay in the locker room or in a similar location off the field until after the anthem has been performed.
4. A club will be fined by the League if its personnel are on the field and do not stand and show respect for the flag and the anthem.
5. Each club may develop its own work rules, consistent with the above principles, regarding its personnel who do not stand and show respect for the flag and the anthem.
6. The commissioner will impose appropriate discipline on league personnel who do not stand and show respect for the flag and the anthem.
The bottom line is the NFL is a business and if anthem protest hurt the profits they will act.