NYSPHAA Postpones 2020 High School Fall Season And Cancels 2020 Fall Championships
The latest sports to be effected by the COVID-19 pandemic is the High School Fall season here in New York. The New York State Public High School Athletic Association has voted to delay the official start of the 2020 Fall season and cancel the Fall 2020 Regional and State Championships. In a press release issued earlier today from NYSHSAA the delays and future plans were laid out.
The 202 Fall High School sports season was set to begin on August 24th but the new date will be September 21st. If there's a silver lining here it's that the season has been postponed and not cancelled. Obviously we still don't know what the status of the coronavirus will be on September 21st at this time but this buys NYSPHSAA some time.
Here's a summery of the NYSPHAA decisions:
The NYSPHSAA Officers’ decision includes:
• Delay Fall sports start date until Monday, September 21st (NYSPHSAA PAUSE)
• Cancel Fall Regional and State Championship events
• Waive seven-day practice rule
• Maintain current practice requirements
• Encourage geographic scheduling for games & contests
• Schools would have the option, if permitted by state officials, to offer off-season conditioning
With any luck the students will be able to return to school and hopefully sports. Follow @NYSPHSAA for updates.