Ok Ranger fans you can breathe now. Wow what a heart stopper game 3 of the eastern conference quarter finals was. The Rangers held on, or perhaps better yet, the clock ran out on the Washington Capitals who ended the game with a power play chance that became a 2 man advantage when they pulled net minder Bradan Holtby but the clock ran out and the Rangers held on-barely beating the Caps 4-3 and pulled to within 2-1 in the best of 7.

This game saw lead change after lead change. The Rangers led 1-0. The Caps tied it at 1 and then took a 2-1 lead. The Rangers stormed back and took a 3-2 lead. Washington tied the game at 3. The Rangers Derek Stepan scored the game winner with just 6:25 left in regulation. The excitement however was just starting.

With 1:54 left in regulation Brad Richards, the object of Many Ranger fans scorn took a stupid hi stick penalty on Alexander Ovechkin with 1:54 left. Washing seemingly spent the entire time passing the puck around the perimeter and occasionally trying to jam a pass into the slot but to no avail. Almost stunningly the caps took on the characteristics of the Rangers power play. The Rangers cleared the puck twice, the last with 2 seconds left that ended this heart burn classic.

The Caps opened the scoring 4:06 into the 1st on a tip in by Nicklas Backstrom. The Garden fell silent like the crowd sensed peril. Brian Boyle relieved some of the tension with the tying goal before the period ended.

Derrick Brassard and Mike Green exchanged goals in the 2nd period and thus setting the stage for a thrilling 3rd.

The seldom used Arron Asham scored 2:53 into the period and it looked like the hockey Gods were with the Rangers. I mean Arron Asham????

However Washington scored at 7:19 on what initially looked as a soft goal allowed by Henrik Lundqvist. However replays showed the Jay Beagle tipped in the  point shot by Jack Hillen and it changed directions on Lundqvist.

On the night Lundqvist played solid, stopping 28 Cap attempts. His counterpart Braden Holtby stopped 26 pucks.

Another stunning event took place before face off when Marc Staal returned not only to the lineup but started the game thus getting a nice ovation from the Garden Denizen. Staal hadn't played since March 5th when he took a puck in the eye in a game against Philadelphia.