Siena Takeaways After the ‘Albany Cup’
The Siena Saints recaptured the 'Albany Cup' on Saturday night, topping UAlbany, 78-70, in front of 10,790 at the Times Union Center.
Both teams stand at 7-4 after the game.
For the Saints, here are the takeaways:
1) Siena had five players in double-figures again. When you get that kind of balance on offense, you are tough to beat.
2) Lavon Long had 19 points, 15 of which came in the first half. He played very well. You never quite know what you're going to get with him, but if he plays like that? Siena is better than the projected fifth-place MAAC finish.
3) Javion Ogunyemi is a sparkplug. He had four dunks in the last ten minutes to ignite the crowd.
4) Nico Clareth is the X-Factor. The freshman had 14 points. His energy and swagger can really help Siena - provided he plays within himself.
5) Siena only had 10 turnovers. For as much as they want to get in transition, they can be prone to turnovers. When they hold onto the ball, they are very good.
6) Let's remember this: UAlbany played without two of four big men. Siena was better the other night, but the gap isn't big, if its there at all.